AN EASY PLAN TO USE
The Upper Room
IN SMALL GROUPS
Christ is among us in fresh ways when we gather together,
listening to God and to each other.
Once a week, gather with other believers to share a longer
devotional time of about an hour. You may meet any time during
the week and replace that day’s reading with Wednesday’s reading.
• Begin by reading the Bible passage on the Read line and the
day’s meditation, allowing silence for at least a minute afterwards. Then ask members to turn to the questions for that date
listed below or on one of the following pages.
• Ask someone to read aloud the questions one by one, giving
each group member the opportunity to answer after each
question. If anyone prefers not to answer a particular question,
move on to the next person.
• Discuss how everyone thinks differently, and try to hear what
the Holy Spirit may be saying to you in all this.
• Decide what you will do with God during the week.
• Be quiet and pray together.
For a more detailed meeting guide, see
SEPTEMBER 6: Higher Ways
1. How do you relate to the writer’s need to get things done in
order to feel productive and complete? How important is it to
you that you accomplish daily tasks on your to-do list? In what
ways do you respond to interruptions in your daily plans?
2. How do you think Jesus felt when he was interrupted by
requests to heal people? What does the life and example
of Jesus teach us about interruptions?
3. Recall a time when God interrupted your plans. What was
the situation? How did you feel about the interruption?
What did you learn from this experience?