AUGUST 9: Discernment
1. What do you think of Claire’s description of James as a “hidden
disciple”? What other hidden disciples can you think of from the
2. Are you or have you ever been a hidden disciple? Are you
comfortable serving in the background, or do you prefer to take
a more public role?
3. What are some of the strengths of being a hidden disciple? What
are some of the drawbacks?
4. Who are the hidden disciples in your church community? Do
you know them by name? How do these disciples serve others?
How does the community recognize or include these disciples
in the life of the church?
admire about these people? How does their faith help them to
be good mediators for the community?
5. What helps you keep Christ at the center of your life? What new
practice could you try to refocus your life on Christ?
1. Can you relate to Sharon’s story in today’s meditation? Describe
a time when you wanted to attempt something new or challenging. What excited you about that challenge? What made you
hesitate? What did you ultimately decide to do?
2. Who in your life has taken on challenges and succeeded? What
do you admire about this person? What qualities do you share
with this person? How are you different? What can you learn
from him or her?
3. When you think about overcoming challenges, what character
from the Bible comes to mind? How does this character help
you to think about your own challenges differently?
4. In addition to reading scripture, how do you listen for God’s
direction? What practices, rituals, or other resources help you to
trust God in your daily life?
5. Who are the “master teachers” in your community of faith? Who
do you look to for spiritual wisdom and guidance? How do these
teachers live out their faith?
AUGUST 16: The Hidden Disciple